It’s time to check the roundup. Here’s what’s happening in education news this week:
- A Prize Patrol bus carrying Orange County Superintendent of Schools Al Mijares, OCDE staff, sponsors and media made surprise visits to four local schools and a community college Monday to announce the 2017 Orange County Teachers of the Year.
- The U.S. Department of Education and the U.S. Department of Justice jointly issued a letter on Friday indicating transgender students should be permitted to use bathrooms or locker rooms consistent with their chosen gender identities, mirroring a law previously passed in California.
- A team of students from Orange High School has earned a spot among the top five finalists in the 2016 Vans Custom Culture contest.
- The Huntington Beach Union High School District experimented with bringing in therapy dogs as a unique tactic for soothing stressed students taking end-of-the-year tests.
- Students from Aliso Niguel High School in the Capistrano Unified School District have started a club dedicated to feeding the homeless.