The weekly roundup of this week’s top education stories is here:
- How’s this for ambitious? The Orange County Department of Education will embark on a new campaign encouraging students, educators and community members to help reach the goal of registering one billion acts of kindness.
- Los Alamitos High School’s advanced women’s and advanced mixed choirs won a variety of national titles.
- Orange County’s six finalists in the 2016 Classified Employees of the Year program were honored, as were two students who earned perfect AP Spanish scores, at the April 6 Orange County Board of Education meeting.
- The Anaheim Ducks surprised Star View Elementary School in the Ocean View School District with a makeover to their campus hockey rink.
- The Medieval Times Royal Court honored students from Fullerton’s Nicolas Junior High School in a unique recognition ceremony for their academic excellence, character and attendance.
- Walt Disney Elementary School in the Magnolia School District received a special cooking lesson from a Disney executive chef, who prepared dishes using the same kinds of fruits and vegetables that are growing in the school’s garden.
- The Santa Ana Unified School District is leading the way in a downward trend of out-of-school suspensions in California schools after new discipline policies were implemented and more student support programs were encouraged.