It’s Friday, Sept. 11, and here are some educational news stories from this past week.
- As the FDA and the California Legislature consider how to regulate e-cigarettes, a new study finds a link between vaping and tobacco use among young people.
- Standardized test scores released this week show Orange County students outperforming the state and surrounding counties.
- CAASPP test results reaffirmed the need to focus on closing the achievement gap for California students.
- With California developing new tests based on the Next Generation Science Standards, state education officials reported that students who took assessments aligned with the older science standards saw a drop in their scores this year.
- A new program in the Newport-Mesa Unified School District aims to assist students who have been caught with drugs or alcohol — or admitted to substance abuse.