Happy Friday! It’s time for the weekly roundup of education stories:
- The California Department of Education released data indicating the number of out-of-school suspensions has dropped substantially from 2011 to 2014.
- OCDE will be offering a “Transitioning to College” workshop, allowing parents and students to learn about the expectations of higher education.
- McGaugh Elementary School in the Los Alamitos Unified School District celebrated the sacrifices of military children and families with a weeklong event filled with military-style activities, troop visits and opportunities for students to express their patriotism.
- The Orange County Department of Education and VSA Orange County will present the 40th annual VSA Festival on Saturday, April 30.
- The 34th annual Donald Bren Honors Concert allowed hundreds of student musicians from Irvine an exciting forum to showcase their talents and raise money for the district’s music programs.
- The Cypress School District held its first Every Student Succeeding breakfast to honor local students for outstanding effort despite personal challenges.