Planning is “full STEAM ahead” for the OC Fair’s 2017 Imaginology event, which is inviting Orange County students to submit innovative art and science projects for a special showcase at next year’s fair.
Imaginology is a free event that will be held April 21 through April 23 at the OC Fair & Event Center, bringing together children and their families to explore the various fields of STEAM — also known as science, technology, engineering, art and math.
Along with promoting hands-on activities and presentations, Imaginology is encouraging students from pre-kindergarten through high school to share their own creations representing categories such as 3-D printed art, jewelry and photography by the March 24 deadline. The top entries will be on display all three days.
“The Imaginology event is our give back to the youth of the community,” says Kathy Kramer, chief executive officer of the OC Fair & Event Center. “This educational event focuses on providing hands-on activities, exhibits, competitions and a learning experience to champion STEM curriculum.”
- 3-D Printed Art: Also known as additive manufacturing, students can create an original piece that is either functional, art-based or both.
- Cardboard Engineering: Let the creative juices flow in this competition, as contestants dazzle with handmade cardboard bicycles, games, furniture and so much more.
- Computer-Generated Art: Create a virtual masterpiece by using computers and computer software as part of the production or display of artwork.
- Drawing: Using the oldest form of technology, the human hand, create your penciled piece of art. Various drawing mediums are accepted, see competition guidelines for list.
- Farmology: Craft a farm animal or insect project from recycled or repurposed material.
- Fashionista: Use your imagination to transform unusual materials to a wearable piece of clothing.
- Fiber Arts: With a pattern or your own design, weave, stitch or knot a crafty creation.
- Jewelry: Using beads, gem, jewels and more, create your own delicate jewelry designs.
- Kinetic Art: Create a moving artwork through mobiles that move naturally or by machine power.
- Make It with Clay: Get your hands dirty and sculpt a clay creation.
- Motion-Based Media: Entertain by making a 5-minute or shorter animated film using claymation, stop motion, photography, film or video.
- Painting: Through careful strokes, display your artistic hand through your painted art-piece.
- Photography: Capture the world around you through a digitally taken photograph. Shooting with film also accepted.
- Manipulated Photography: Mess with Mother Nature by creating a new reality through digitally manipulated photography.
- Poetry: Express yourself through your own Haiku poem and illustrate it with a drawing, painting, collage, computer art or photo.
- Read & Draw: Read a book about a S.T.E.A.M. subject and draw or paint a book jacket that illustrates the story.
- Upcycle It!: Using old or discarded materials re-create a useful or beautiful artwork.
- Wood & Metal Arts: Cut, hammer, weld, glue and saw to create an art piece out of wood, metal or both.