Oxford Academy in Anaheim Union High School District ranked as the second best high school in California in the recently released U.S. News 2019 Best High Schools ranking.
Oxford, a magnet school in Cypress, ranked 19th overall nationally. It’s the second straight year Oxford ranked 2nd in California. The magnet did climb 17 spots in the overall national ranking, up from 36th place last year.
“Oxford Academy runs an intensive honors curriculum that requires students to take a minimum of four Advanced Placement courses to graduate. Ninth- and 10th-grade students can choose from four career pathways to supplement their core courses: biomedical science, engineering, business/entrepreneurship, and software systems and development,” according to U.S. News.
Orange County School of the Arts, a charter school in Santa Ana, was the second highest rated county school, placing No. 34 statewide and 271st nationally.
Here are is the full list of local schools placing in the top 100 statewide:
- Oxford Academy in Anaheim Union High School District; No. 2 statewide, No. 19 nationally
- Orange County School of the Arts, a charter school in Santa Ana; No. 34 statewide and No. 271 nationally
- Troy High School in Fullerton Joint Union High School District; No. 35 statewide, No. 278 nationally
- Northwood High in Irvine Unified School District, No. 50 statewide, No. 401 nationally
- La Quinta High in Garden Grove Unified School District; No. 54 statewide, No. 415 nationally
- Corona del Mar High in Newport-Mesa Unified School District; No. 63 statewide, No. 453 nationally
- University High in Irvine Unified School District; No. 64 statewide, No. 468 nationally
- Beckman High in Tustin Unified School District; No. 81 statewide, No. 571 nationally
Samueli Academy in Santa Ana, a charter operated by the Orange County Department of Education, ranked No. 101 statewide and No. 721 overall.
The U.S. News ranking measures campuses on data including enrollment, graduation rates, diversity, participation in free and reduced-price lunch programs and the results of state assessments, as well as Advanced Placement and International Baccalaureate test data.