This week, schools across Orange County invited special guests to read their favorite children’s books in honor of Read Across America Day.
Established by the National Education Association, the Read Across America campaign encourages children in every community to celebrate reading on March 2, which is the birthday of author Theodor Seuss Geisel — better known ’round these parts as Dr. Seuss. The Daily Pilot also posted this story about a very helpful sixth-grader who became the Cat in the Hat for a day at Newport Coast Elementary School.
And here are some of the education stories we’ve been following:
- Seventh-grader Winston Zuo of Fairmont Private Schools‘ Historic Anaheim Campus correctly spelled “terete” to win the Orange County Spelling Bee and a trip to the 90th annual Scripps National Spelling Bee in Washington, D.C.
- It’s not every day — or every year — that an Orange County district celebrates the opening of a new comprehensive high school. But leaders of the Irvine Unified School District did just that on Thursday, formally dedicating Portola High School with a reception that included staff, students, parents and local dignitaries.
- OCDE launched The Deeper Learning Podcast, featuring in-depth explorations of educational topics and complex questions. The first episode tells the story of a landmark court case that dismantled many of the legal justifications for segregating public schools. Give it a listen here, or subscribe on iTunes.
- Niguel Hills Middle School students are getting hands-on lessons on ancient Egyptian mummification rituals using deceased chickens. (You read that right.)
- Disneyland Resort honored 33 Orange County high schoolers as “Dreamers & Doers” for the work they’ve done to improve their communities.
- A nonprofit group presented lessons on toxic and abusive relationships to Fountain Valley High students during an after-school event hosted by the Domestic Violence Prevention Awareness Club.
- Local school districts have been revealing their Teachers of the Year, often surprising honorees in their classrooms. This week, officials from the Irvine Unified School District, Los Alamitos Unified School District, Huntington Beach Union High School District and Ocean View School District announced their top educators.
- Some Katella High School students are learning about the construction trades directly from industry professionals at real job sites thanks to a unique partnership involving Lennar Homes and Anaheim’s Innovative Mentoring Experience, or AIME.
- Four Whole Foods Markets in Orange County plan to donate 5 percent of their net sales on Wednesday, March 8 to benefit Reading Is Fundamental of Southern California.
That’s all we’ve got for this week. Enjoy the weekend.