You might not have heard, but there was an election this week.
Along with some pretty high-profile national and state races, dozens of OC school board seats were in play on Tuesday, and several communities decided the fate of local measures and community college trustee areas.
Though ballots are still being counted, the Orange County Register has a comprehensive rundown of the latest state and county results that could impact schools in your area.
And here are some other education-related stories we’re following:
- With Hollywood-style glitz and a little Disney magic, 63 superstar educators from Orange County school districts and community colleges were honored Friday night at a special dinner celebration coordinated by OCDE. For those who couldn’t attend, the OCDE Newsroom brings you photos, videos and a brief recap.
- A.J. Cook Elementary School in Garden Grove was one of just 100 campuses across the country — and one of only two from California — to earn national honors through a program that recognizes federally funded schools for outstanding student achievement.
- Looking to inspire positive school cultures, the Riverside County Office of Education has kicked off a yearlong kindness campaign that will share best practices and suggest new ways to mix kindness into school activities.
- Capistrano Unified’s San Juan Hills High School received the National Athletic Trainers’ Association Safe Sports School award for its efforts to provide safe and supportive environments for student athletes.
- Orange County students involved with OCDE’s Friday Night Live and Club Live programs recently participated in the statewide Roadwatch observational study to document distracted driving in their communities.
- With Governor-elect Gavin Newsom proposing a cradle-to-career education system as a key plank of his campaign platform, EdSource came up with a rough calculation of how much his initiatives might cost.
This is the part where we encourage you to keep up with our local education coverage by bookmarking the OCDE Newsroom, subscribing for emailed updates or following us on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.